Tasquitos are one of those dishes that evoke a sense of nostalgia in many people. Whether you grew up eating them or simply enjoy them now, these little bites are definitely something special. In this article, we will show you how to make the best tasquitos possible. From the perfect tortilla to flavoring and everything in between, we will teach you everything you need to make these delectable tacos.
What you need for tasquitos
To make the best tasquitos, you’ll need a few things: tortillas, cheese, salsa, and your favorite fillings. Here’s how to assemble them:
1. Preheat your oven to 350°F.
2. Wrap each tortilla in a layer of cheesecloth or a kitchen towel and microwave for about 30 seconds, or until the tortilla is warm and pliable.
3. To assemble the tasquitos, place one tablespoon of salsa in the center of each tortilla. Top with 2-3 tablespoons of your favorite fillings (beef or chicken are great choices), and then fold up the sides of the tortilla tightly to form a small pouch.
4. Place the tasquitos on a baking sheet and bake for 12-15 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy. Serve immediately!
How to make the dough
To make the best tasquitos, start with a basic masa harina dough. You will need:
1 cup warm water (110 degrees F)
1 tablespoon olive oil or vegetable oil
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
In a large bowl, combine the water, oil and sugar. Add the salt and whisk until the sugar is dissolved. Stir in the flour until it’s fully combined. The dough will be thick and difficult to mix. Use your hands to press it into a ball. Let it rest for 10 minutes.
Finely sprinkling some flour on a work surface, use a lightly floured rolling pin to roll out the dough to a thickness of ⅛ inch (.3 cm). Use a sharp knife to cut out 6-inch (15 cm) circles from the dough. If you want to make tasquitos that are wider or longer than these circles, just adjust the amount of flour used when rolling out the dough.
Lightly mist your hands with cooking spray and dip each circle into the egg mixture, making sure to coat both sides well. Place them on your prepared baking sheet and mist them again with cooking spray. Bake at 425 degrees F (220 degrees C) for 14 minutes, or until golden brown.[/content]
How to make the filling
The best way to make tasquitos is by using a rolling pin and dough sheet. To make the dough, you will need:
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 tablespoons ice water
Once the ingredients are combined, mix them together until they are completely smooth. Next, add in:
2 large eggs
1/4 cup prepared yellow salsa
To make the shells, start by peeling and cutting 12 rounds of dough out of the bowl. Dust each round with some flour and then place them on a lightly floured surface. Using a fork or your fingers, press down on each round to form an even thickness. Cut twelve more rounds of dough and repeat these steps. Once all of the shells are made, set them aside on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Now it’s time to prepare the filling! In a small bowl, whisk together:
1 1/2 cups Chicken Enchilada Sauce (page 298)
1 teaspoon chili powder
In another small bowl, whisk together:
1 1/4 cups grated cheddar cheese (8 ounces)
Once everything is mixed together, spoon it into the shells and sprinkle with:
1 tablespoon finely chopped green onion (scallion)
If desired, you can also top off your tasquitos with some diced avocado or diced tomatoes before serving. Enjoy!
How to make the taquitos
There is no wrong way to make tasquitos, as long as you use fresh ingredients and follow the instructions exactly. Here are four tips for perfect taquitos:
1. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
2. Spread a layer of refried beans in the bottom of a baking dish.
3. Stack the tortillas on top of the beans, leaving a 1-inch border around each one.
4. Pour salsa over the taquitos, dividing it evenly between them.
5. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until tortillas are crispy and cheese is melted and bubbly. Serve immediately.
Tips for making tasquitos
There are a few tips you can follow when making tasquitos: use fresh ingredients, keep them lightly fried and crispy, and avoid using too much filling. Here are four more tips for perfect tasquitos:
1. Start with fresh ingredients: Refrigerate your tortillas for at least 30 minutes before you start frying them so they’re extra crisp.
2. Keep them lightly fried: Tasquitos should be cooked until they are just slightly golden brown and crispy on the outside but still soft in the center. Avoid over-frying them, which will make them greasy and tough.
3. Use a light filling: Choose a filling that is light and delicate so it doesn’t overpower the tortilla chips. Try things like shredded chicken, avocado, or cilantro instead of heavier meats or cheeses.
4. Don’t overload your tasquitos: The best way to achieve crispy tasquitos is to fill them only half-way up with stuffing. Overloading them will make them heavy and difficult to eat.
Leave a Reply